Steeldogs break their losing streak

SHEFFIELD, U.K.- The Sheffield Steeldogs ended their nine game losing streak on Boxing Day in a 3-2 victory over League Leaders, Basingstoke Bison.
The Steeldogs had previously continued their dismal run of form, however, losing to both Peterborough Phantoms and Guildford Flames in their weekend double before Christmas.
The Sheffield side were on the wrong end of a narrow 3-2 defeat at home to the Phantoms on Dec. 22.
After a goalless first period, the Phantoms opened the scoring through Ondrej Lauko at 25:45.
The Steeldogs equalised moments later. Edgars Bebris provided the finish at 27:12.
Two more second period goals from Robert Ferrara and Jeff Glowa, at 30:45 and 34:45 respectively, gave Peterborough at 3-1 lead.
The Steeldogs rallied together in an attempt to level the game late in the third period. Lubomir Korhon scored at 56:04 to make it 3-2.
The Steeldogs could not find the crucial equalising goal and the game ended 3-2.
The away game against the Guildford Flames on Dec. 23 proved to be another test of character for the Steeldogs.
Branislav Kvetan opened the scoring for the Flames at 4:10 in the first period.
Three unanswered goals from the Flames in the second period followed. Jozef Kohut, at 25:11, Stuart Potts, at 26:43, and Nathan Rempel, at 27:57, were the scorers.
David Savage made it 5-0 to the Flames in the third period at 45:16 on the PP, while Steeldogs Pavel Gomeniuk sat out a tripping minor.
The Steeldogs fought back late in the final period, with goals coming from Andrew Hirst and Shaun Wild at 16:01 and 16:57, respectively. It was too late for the Sheffield side, however, and the game ended, 5-2.
Despite their disappointing weekend results, the Steeldogs had some joy over the festive period with a 3-2 away Boxing Day win over the League Leaders, Basingstoke Bison.
It was Basingstoke who opened the scoring. James Smith fired home the first goal of the game after just five minutes.
It remained 1-0 to the Bison up until the second period, where goals from Lloyd Gibson and Pavel Gomeniuk at 22:30 and 37:52, respectively, made it 2-1 to the Steeldogs.
Joe Miller equalised in the third period for Basingstoke at 56:03, however, the Sheffield side refused to back down. Edgars Bebris converted a late winner for the Steeldogs at 58:01 to give his side a crucial win.
The Steeldogs next face Manchester Phoenix at home at Saturday Dec. 29.
Follow us on twitter: @ProHockeyNews
Contact the writer at

Leave a Comment