IceCaps come up short against Phantoms, fall 4-3 at home

ST. JOHN’S, Newfoundland and Labrador – The St. John’s IceCaps began and ended Saturday’s game with quality play, but a mediocre effort in between cost the team two points as they fell 4-3 to the visiting Adirondack Phantoms.
St. John’s enjoyed an early two-goal lead, only to eventually fall behind by a pair of goals. A late push to tie the game fell just short, with IceCaps forward Alex Burmistrov fanning on a one-timer that may have evened the score with just seconds left in the third period.
“I have to check my stick. I think maybe I broke my stick. Right before my shot, something buckled and I just couldn’t put it in,” said Burmistrov.  
Despite the early two-goal lead, the IceCaps failed to control the play for long stretches in Saturday’s loss. The second period was especially rough for the club, as the Phantoms came out swinging and consistently dictated the pace and style of game.
“We fed off the energy in the building last night (during the team’s 2012-13 home opener), and we had a drop off in that department tonight,” said McCambridge. “I thought the two-goal lead was almost a false sense of security for us. After that we couldn’t get the game back in the second period. They hemmed us in our own zone for long stretches of the second period and we made some low percentage plays that resulted in turning the puck over.”
St. John’s opened the scoring on Saturday with a goal from John Albert at 12:54 of the first period. Ivan Telegin put the IceCaps up 2-0 when he scored on a wrap-around at 8:06 of the second. Adirondack responded with a pair of quick goals from Brandon Manning and Shane Harper at 9:22 and 9:49 of the middle frame respectively, tying the game at two.
The Phantoms then took a 3-2 lead when Zac Rinaldo beat IceCaps goalie Eddie Pasquale with a well-placed wrist shot on a two-on-one at 12:06 of the third period. Brayden Schenn put Adirondack up 4-2 just 49 seconds later when he put a bad-angled shot between Pasquale and the post.
The IceCaps did not go down without a fight, however, as they mounted a comeback in the last half of the third frame. Zach Redmond one-timed a pass from Burmistrov into the Phantoms net with just under four minutes left in the period to cut the Adirondack lead to one, but despite some good chances in the dying minutes St. John’s was unable to tie the game.
Scott Munroe stopped 31 shots to earn the win in the Phantoms net, while Pasquale made 28 saves in taking the loss for St. John’s.
Notes: IceCaps center Patrice Cormier sat out the game with an apparent foot injury. He was spotted walking around Mile Once Centre with a pronounced limp and the laces on his right shoe undone. McCambridge said Cormier is day-to-day with a lower body injury … The game’s three stars were Schenn, Burmistrov and Rinaldo respectively … Both club went one-for-four on the power play.
  Contact Follow us on Twitter @prohockeynews

Leave a Comment