Wolves home winning streak ends at seven

ROSEMONT, Ill.– After rallying to force overtime with a pair of power-play goals, the Chicago Wolves surrendered their third power-play goal with 1:11 left in extra time to fall 3-2 to Toronto Friday night at Allstate Arena.

 Defenseman Cade Fairchild started Chicago’s rally with his first goal of the year before left wing Sergey Andronov pulled the Wolves (20-14-2-2) into a tie at 3:19 of the third period. Mark Mancari added two assists for Chicago, which saw its home winning streak end at seven games.

 “We played well five-on-five, but we took way too many penalties,” said Wolves head coach John Anderson. “We had our chances to win after we tied the score but couldn’t convert.”

Toronto_Marlies_svgToronto (22-11-2-2) opened the scoring with a power-play goal just 19 seconds before the end of the first period. Sam Carrick delivered a centering pass in front of the goal to set up left wing David Broll for an easy flip past Wolves goaltender Jake Allen.

The Marlies pushed their lead to 2-0 with another power-play goal at 11:29 of the second period. Spencer Abbott took advantage of Allen playing without a stick and wristed a shot from the left circle past his glove.

 The Wolves delivered a power-play goal of their own to slice the margin in half at 15:43 of the second. Mancari worked the puck to Keith Aucoin near the goal line, then Aucoin rifled a pass across the crease past a sliding Toronto defender to Fairchild for a tap-in past goaltender Garret Sparks.

Chicago pulled even at 3:19 of the third with another power-play goal as Mancari rifled a shot from the point that deflected off Andronov. Ty Rattie also picked up an assist on the play.

Carrick earned the game-winner at 3:49 of overtime. With Toronto owning a 4-on-3 advantage, Greg McKegg claimed the puck behind the net and fed the open Carrick in the slot for a one-timer.

 Allen (15-9-2) stopped 22 shots for the Wolves. Elmhurst native Garret Sparks (3-3-0) posted 25 saves to pick up the win.

Leave a Comment