The Birds Monarchs earns a point in shootout loss

MANCHESTER, NH – The Manchester Monarchs failed to complete the comeback with a 4-3 shootout loss to the Springfield Falcons at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Friday night.

Manchester (34-14-2-6) leads the Atlantic Division with 76 points. Springfield (33-15-1-4) leads the Northeast Division with 71 points.Springfield_Falcons_Logo_svg

“We showed a lot of resilience,” said Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris. “Obviously, with the guys that got called up, it left some holes in some areas of our game. To the credit of our guys, after getting down, I thought we came in with great energy in the third and also in the second period. I thought we turned some things around and that was a well-earned point, but they were better in the shootout.”

The game was decided by a shootout with Springfield going two-for-three and Manchester not potting a goal on four attempts. Springfield’s shootout goals were scored by center Andrew Joudrey and left wing Jonathan Marchessault.

Right wing Paul Thompson scored first for the Falcons at 4:01 of the first period. Center Darryl Boyce passed the puck to left wing Sean Collins who skated down the left wing side and took a shot on net. Thompson recovered the rebound and pushed it past Monarchs netminder Martin Jones.

The Falcons then struck again at 17:08 of the first period with a shorthanded goal by Boyce. Center Jake Hansen passed the puck to Boyce who skated up the neutral zone and made a move around Monarchs defenseman Andrew Bodnarchuk. Boyce carried the puck down the left wing and shot it past Jones to give the Falcons a 2-0 lead in the first period.

Monarchs forward Nick Shore made it a one goal game at 5:34 of the second period. Right wing Zach O’Brien passed the puck to defenseman Vincent LoVerde who took a slap shot from the blueline. Shore gained the rebound that deflected off the arm of goaltender Mike McKenna. Shore found the back of the net beating McKenna and making the game 2-1.

Defenseman Colin Miller tied the game for the Monarchs at 6:08 in the third period. Center Jordan Weal gained possession from the face-off and passed it to right wing Sean Backman along the left wing half wall. Backman then passed the puck over to Miller at the center point where he fired a shot into the back of the net.

Springfield regained the lead with another goal by Thompson at 10:42 of the third period. Left wing Sean Collins fired a pass to defenseman Tim Erixon in the right face-off corner. Erixon retrieved it from the corner and passed the puck to Thompson who fired a shot from the blueline beating Jones.

Manchester tied the game again with a power play goal by center Jordan Weal at 18:11 of the final stanza. Weal retrieved the puck from Jones and skated down the left side of the ice and then fired a slap shot past McKenna tying the game, 3-3.

Jones (15-3-3) took his third shootout loss of the season, stopping 20-of-23 shots faced. McKenna (15-6-0) earned his 15th win of the season with38 saves on 41 shots.

Manchester was 1-for-5 on the power play. Springfield went 0-for-2 with the man advantage.

Notables: All three games against the Springfield Falcons have been decided in overtime and two shootouts…The Monarchs four-game winning streak came to an end…Goaltender Martin Jones recorded his first assist and point of the season…Defensemen Andrew Campbell played in his 400th game in a Monarchs uniform; he’s the only player to do so in franchise history.

Leave a Comment