Steeldogs back to poor form

SHEFFIELD, U.K.- The Sheffield Steeldogs reverted back to their previous poor form with two weekend defeats against the Guildford Flames and the Peterborough Phantoms.

The Steeldogs could have continued their winning ways after beating both Telford and Milton Keynes last weekend, 6-4 and 3-2 respectively, but they crumbled under the pressure from both the Flames and the Phantoms.

On Saturday Feb. 2., the Steeldogs hosted second place, Guildford Flames. The Flames quickly took the initiative, scoring after just 40 seconds through Jez Lundin.

Dean Holland fired in the Flames’ second goal of the night at 15:08.

A second period PP goal from David Longstaff at 32:55 gave the visitors a 3-0 lead, with Steeldog Ashley Calvert sitting out a boarding penalty.

The Steeldogs pulled one back before the end of the second period, however, at 33:16 through Edgars Bebris.

At 42:08, Sheffield defenceman, Ben Morgan, brought the Steeldogs back to within one, only for Ben Campbell to restore Guildford’s two goal deficit moments later at 45:26.

With Longstaff seeing out a two minute tripping penalty, the Steeldogs pressed on the PP. The Sheffield side were rewarded for their efforts, as Captain Greg Wood scored on the PP at 58:30.

Seconds later, the cheers of the Steeldogs fans were silenced as Curtis Huppe slotted in an empty net goal at 59:16 to seal the win for Guildford. The game ended 5-3 to the visiting Flames.

The MOTM award was given to Steeldogs’ Lee Haywood.

The Steeldogs then travelled to Peterborough to face the Phantoms on Sunday Feb. 3., only to face a familiar 5-3 defeat.

Luke Ferrara gave the home side an early lead after just 3:21. Their lead was doubled later in the first period, with Maris Zeidins firing the puck past Steeldogs netminder, Dalibor Sedlar, from close range at 13:54.

Edgars Bebris made it 2-1 midway through the second period at 31:23. The Phantoms soon restored their two goal cushion. Zeidins claimed his second of the night at 32:21 to make it 3-1 to Peterborough at the end of the second.

Jeff Glowa increased the Phantoms’ lead to four at 45:16.

With less than four minutes left of the game, Bebris and Lubomir Korhon fired in two goals in quick succession, at 54:16 and 56:44 respectively.

Steeldogs pulled their netminder in the final moments of the game in search of an equalising goal, however, James Ferrara fired the puck into the empty net to end the game 5-3.

Bebris was given the MOTM award for the Sheffield Steeldogs.

The Sheffield Steeldogs will host two consecutive home matches, against the Slough Jets on Saturday Feb. 9. and the Basingstoke Bison on Sunday Feb. 10.

Follow us on twitter: @ProHockeyNews

Contact the writer at

Leave a Comment