Rampage rally twice, but fall to OK City 3-2

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – The San Antonio Rampage (6-7-0-1) came back to tie the game twice, but ultimately fell 3-2 to the Oklahoma City Barons (6-6-0-2) in a school day game at Cox Convention Center. The divisional rivals have split the season series thus far, with San Antonio owning a 2-2-0-0 record against the Barons.

Rampage defenseman Ryan Whitney earned the Third Star of the Game in a two-point effort (one goal, one assist) in his first game wearing a Rampage jersey and Bobby Butler broke the team’s road power play drought with a goal in the second period.

san-antonio-rampage-logoThe Rampage have now played in five-straight games decided by one goal and have outshot their opponent in four-straight games. Three of the four games saw the Rampage outshoot the opposition by at least 13 shots.

Netminder Jacob Markstrom stopped 20-of-23 shots in his first game for the Rampage this season after being loaned by the Florida Panthers to San Antonio on Sunday.

Despite outshooting the Barons, 13-5, the Rampage were unable to find the back of the net and both teams went into the first intermission scoreless.

The stalemate lasted all of 3:34 into the second, as Anton Lander sprang off the bench and caught a pass from Martin Gernat. Lander quickly found himself on a breakaway and wasted no time in tucking the puck into the net to give the Barons a 1-0 lead.

The two teams traded penalties, but neither could cash in with the extra man. The Rampage came into the game 0-for-24 on the power play while on the road, but Butler put an end to that with 2:49 left in the middle frame.

San Antonio was cycling down low, and Whitney tossed the puck over to fellow defenseman Alex Petrovic, who fired it to Butler at the top of the left circle. Butler one-timed it and beat Oklahoma City netminder Tyler Bunz for his fourth of the year.

The Barons came roaring back, however, reclaiming the lead just 1:46 into the third period. Martin Marincin fired a shot on Markstrom and Roman Horak blasted home the rebound to put Oklahoma City back on top, 2-1. The go-ahead goal was Horak’s third of the year and his first as a Baron.

With just under six minutes left in regulation, Whitney collected a pass from Denny Urban at the blueline. He rifled the puck in through traffic, and got it past Bunz to tie the game up for the second time.

The goal marked the second point of the night for Whitney, who was loaned from the Panthers on Monday. Urban’s assist on the goal also marked his 100th professional point.

Barely a minute later, Oklahoma City’s David Musil lifted the puck over the glass, giving the Rampage a late opportunity to take the lead. The power play lasted 23 seconds before a Rampage penalty gave way to a four-on-four, and the Barons quickly capitalized on the chance.

Bunz fed the puck to Gernat, who in turn passed it off to Linus Omark. Executing a perfect toe drag around a Rampage skater, Omark put away his ninth of the year to put the Barons back on top once again at 16:50. Omark’s goal was his fifth against San Antonio in just four games between the teams this season.

The Rampage added the extra skater with 1:25 to go in regulation, but were unable to find the back of the net and Omark’s tally proved to be the game-winner.

San Antonio went 1-for-7 on the power play and killed off all of their penalties, as the Barons went 0-for-7 with the extra man. The Rampage outshot  Oklahoma City, 36-23.


Leave a Comment