Rampage fall to Oklahoma City, 5-4

SAN ANTONIO, Texas — Despite a furious comeback effort in the third period, the San Antonio Rampage (2-5-0-0) were unable to erase a three-goal deficit and ultimately fell to the Oklahoma City Barons (4-4-0-1), 5-4, on 80’s Night at AT&T Center in front of 6,237 fans.

Four different Rampage players lit the lamp and Vincent Trocheck (one goal, one assist), Greg Rallo (one goal, one assist) and Garrett Wilson (two assists) had multi-point games, but were overshadowed by Barons forward Linus Omark, who tallied four goals on the night.

The newly formed line of Trocheck, Wilson and Bobby Butler combined for two goals and four assists, along with a combined plus-3 rating.

Butler got the first tilt between the divisional rivals off to a quick start, scoring his first of the season just 1:06 into regulation. Receiving a feed from Wilson, Butler dangled around an Oklahoma City defender and slipped the puck past Barons netminder Richard Bachman to give the Rampage an early lead.

san-antonio-rampage-logoThe Rampage continued to pressure the Barons net early in the game, tallying six shots within the first three minutes of action and 12 of the first 15 shots.

Despite the early shot discrepancy, Barons forward Anton Lander let a drop pass go to Omark, who ripped one past Dov Grumet-Morris to tie the game at 3:53.

The teams traded penalties for the remainder of the first, with Oklahoma City cashing in on the man advantage at 16:15. With both Trocheck and Jed Ortmeyer in the box, Philip Larsen fed a cross-ice pass to Omark, who put it home for his second of the night, capitalizing on the 5-on-3 opportunity.

Omark’s power play tally broke the Rampage’s streak of 15-straight penalty kills at home to start the season.

Just over six minutes into the middle frame, Trocheck tied the game at 2-2. Wilson fed a perfect centering pass right above the crease, catching Trocheck perfectly and allowing him to rifle it high glove side. The goal marked Trocheck’s third of the season.

Late in the second period, Barons forward Philip Larsen let one fly from the circles, and the puck caught the blade of Matt Ford’s stick, tipping it past Grumet-Morris for the third Barons goal of the night.

Omark, already with two on the game, was awarded a penalty shot with 2:42 left in the second period. He put it home to widen the Barons’ lead to two, and completed the hat trick. The goal marked the first time in team history that the Rampage have given up a penalty-shot goal in back-to-back games.

Seven and a half minutes into the third, Omark struck again. The Barons had the 5-on-3 advantage, and Omark put one past Grumet-Morris just as the penalty to Caruso timed out, giving Oklahoma City the 5-2 lead.

Omark’s goal, his seventh of the season and fourth of the night, marked the third time in the last four years that an opposing player has posted four goals on the Rampage in a single game.

Down three with just under seven minutes to go in regulation, Quinton Howden found the back of the net for the Rampage for his first of the year. Picking up a pass from Rallo, Howden powered his way around Bachman, effectively cutting the Barons’ lead to two.

San Antonio was given a power-play chance, and for the first time all night, they capitalized with the extra man. Drew Shore had the puck down low, and fed it up to Rallo, who blasted it from the high slot to put the Rampage within one with 2:38 left in the third.

Rallo’s goal was his first of the season, and gives him eight goals in 26 career games against the Barons.

Despite the late offensive push and an extra skater on the ice in place of Grumet-Morris, the Rampage were unable to come back, and the Barons took the first of two this weekend at AT&T Center, 5-4.

The Rampage went 1-for-5 on the power play, while the Barons were 3-for-8 with the man advantage. Oklahoma City also had the edge in shots, 39-33.

Leave a Comment