P-Bruins throttle Hartford, 6-0

PROVIDENCE, RI – Alexander Khokhlachev had two goals and an assist, and Jared Knight added a goal and two assists, to lead the Providence Bruins to a 6-0 win over the Hartford Wolf Pack Sunday at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center. P Bruins logo

It was the Wolf Pack’ first shutout-against on the season, and their second straight loss to the Bruins, who defeated the Pack 8-5 on Friday night at the XL Center.

Providence starting goaltender Malcolm Subban made 14 saves, but had to share the shutout with Niklas Svedberg, after Subban and Wolf Pack relief goaltender Scott Stajcer were ejected for fighting as part of a third-period melee.

The only goal of the first period came only 3:42 in, when Knight scored on a deflection. Wolf Pack starting goaltender Jason Missiaen stopped a shot by Khokhlachev, but could not control the rebound. David Warsofsky was able to move to the left-wing circle and put the puck back towards the net, and Knight tipped it off of Missiaen and in.

The Bruins took full control of the game in the second period, scoring four times.

The first score came at the 21-second mark, as Matt Fraser, who had four goals and an assist in the Bruins’ win Friday in Hartford, tipped a Joe Morrow shot into the net, after Danny Syvret blocked a Providence pass but the puck went right to Morrow at the blue line.

Simsbury, CT native Tommy Cross made it 3-0 at 8:43, with his first point of the season. Cross circled the Wolf Pack net from right to left and was foiled on a wraparound try by a great save by Missiaen, but Cross was able to get to the rebound and flip it in.

Only 1:47 after Cross’ goal, Khokhlachev upped the lead to 4-0 at 10:30, benefitting from some good hustle by Knight. Knight raced to a loose puck below the Hartford goal line and centered it to Khokhlachev, who ripped a close-in shot past Missiaen.

Justin Florek completed the second-period blitz at 16:32, deflecting a Knight shot. Knight stopped a Ryan Bourque clearing attempt near the blue line and flung the puck at the net, and Florek tipped it past Missiaen.

With Providence leading 5-0 after two, the third period was penalty-filled, with the Wolf Pack taking 77 minutes in penalties and Providence 56.

The majority of those infractions occurred at 6:28, when the Wolf Pack’s Stu Bickel grabbed Florek, and Dylan McIlrath went after Ben Youds. All the players on the ice joined the battle, including the two goaltenders, Subban and Stajcer, who had replaced Missiaen in the Wolf Pack net to start the third.

Subban and Stajcer were both ejected, and the Bruins ended up with a five-on-three man advantage, which they converted at 7:12. It was Khokhlachev getting his second goal of the game, as he was set up along the goal line to the left of Missiaen, who had to re-enter the game when Stajcer was tossed, and put home a sharp-angle shot for the final margin.


Leave a Comment