Fort Worth again beats Quad City 3-2 in OT Brahmas push Mallards to brink of elimination

0b757262f9f440d1877d3e7caf7cae73.300MOLINE, Ill. – Just like game two on Saturday, Wednesday’s game three between the Fort Worth Brahmas and the Quad City Mallards couldn’t be settled in regulation time, and just like game two, the Brahmas won 3-2 in the first overtime period.

The Brahmas saw their bench shorten early into the game when Colby Pridham was run into by a Mallards player sliding on the ice. Pridham fell to the ice and slid into the boards behind the net. He lost a good amount of blood and reportedly has a lacerated right leg.

Despite the early adversity, Fort Worth scored first. The Brahmas were killing off a Ross Rouleau penalty for hooking when Calin Wild scooped up a loose puck that couldn’t be handled by the Mallards’ point man. Wild skated in and fired a snap shot that beat Quad City goalie John Murray to give Brahmas 1-0 the lead a little past the midway mark for the first period.

The second period was a very tight, back-and-forth affair as both teams played good defense and disrupted the other team’s chances.

Quad City tied the game at one late in the second when Mickey Lang jammed in his own rebound. His initial shot was stopped on a great save by Kristofer Westblom but while Westblom was sprawled on the ice, Lang lifted the puck over him. The Mallards’ Matt Boyd and Anthony Perdicaro assisted on Lang’s first goal of the post season.

Quad City out shot Fort Worth 13-10 in the second but the majority of the shots by both teams were not very dangerous for either goaltender.

The Brahmas regained the lead 6:23 into the third on their fourth power play of the game. Shawn Szydlowski had the puck but lost it when he was checked into the boards. Eric Tallent immediately jumped on the loose puck and ripped a shot from past the top of the right wing circle that beat Murray. Szydlowski and Rouleau had the assists on the goal that pushed the score to 2-1.

That lead lasted less than three minutes as Perdicaro put in a rebound from a Shayne Toporowski shot to knot things up at two goals apiece. The game continued on tied at two for the next 10:43 before the game headed to overtime.

After no penalties were called in the second half of the third period, it could be assumed that referee Brent Coulombe would keep his whistle in his pocket for the overtime period as well. That was not the case though as Coulombe was forced to call several very blatant penalties. As a result there were five penalties in the first 6:39 of overtime. The Brahmas were unable to score on the only power play that came from the penalties but Fort Worth’s Colin Mulvey scored 10:32 into the overtime period when he knocked in a rebound from a Rouleau blast from the right point. John Snowden picked up the second assist on Mulvey’s goal.

The Brahmas will have an opportunity to complete the sweep of the Mallards on Friday night when the two teams meet again at the i wireless Center. The game is set for a 7:05 pm CST start.

Contact the writer at

Follow us on Twitter: @prohockeynews

Leave a Comment